Saturday, October 1, 2011

I Pureed My Brains Out.

I just spent a good portion, and by good portion I mean a big ol' hunk (if not all) of the afternoon making purees. So I apologize in advance if this entry isn't clever, witty, or doesn't even make sense because I literally just pureed my brains out!

As I mentioned in a previous blog entry, I'm embarking on a quest to get my child to eat healthier. The beginning of this quests starts with the cookbook Deceptively Delicious by Jessica Seinfeld. The basic concept of the book is that you mix pureed veggies into everything from Mac n cheese to Cupcakes. I know that this isn't a "cure all" to the eating healthier challenge. At some point I'm going to actually have to get him to realize that he's eating veggies (and not just the ones from a can) but at least it's a start.

This morning I picked out 3 recipes that we are going to try this week and off to the store I went. I'm going to keep it pretty basic this 1st week and stick to things I know he likes. That way if the meals are rejected I will know without a doubt that Mrs. Seinfeld is full of dooky and the veggies really can be tasted. Which will render her cookbook neither deceptive nor delicious. But really, if I thought that was the case I wouldn't have spent the last 4 hours making purees. Anyhoo, back on track. When I returned I had Sweet Potatoes, Cauliflower, Broccoli, Butternut Squash, and Carrots for pureeing. Which will be going into Chicken Nuggets, Mac N Cheese, and Turkey Burgers.


The picture shows Kale on the far right. I will be using it to make Kale Chips to serve with the Turkey Burgers, but it really helped balance out the picture.


It really was quite fun to spend all afternoon with tunes blaring, food processor humming, and random bouts of dancing breaking out in the kitchen. The dancing was added by none other than Mr. Buggy himself but he let me join in on the fun. There was chopping....





Roasting...




Steaming...





Self doubt, which lead to double checking the directions....





And of course Pureeing, which happens to be my favorite part....






The process gives us these brightly colored little bags of yumminess that can be stored in the fridge or freezer until it's time to add them to a recipe....




I will let you know how the recipes turn out and if they were recieved well by my own personal food critics, the Hubby and the Buggy.

1 comment:

  1. So thrilled you are having fun with the processor!! You have already used yours more than I do mine!!! Hope it helps to disguise the nutrients!! Love Kate

    ReplyDelete