Tuesday, June 28, 2011

You can't make this stuff up!

Today we officially started Potty Training. I got tired of the "slow and steady" method, the "uses the potty when he feels like it" arrangement, the "momma was to scared to really make him" approach . So we are gung ho... slap some undies on that boy and help him keep them dry...all systems- go!

Although, we ran into a slight problem, Buggy is so slender that the 2T-3T underwear literally slide right off his tiny bottom. So, I thought, no sweat! We'll just run right over to Walmart and he can help pick out some new ones in a smaller size. This will solve the issue of them being too large and also get him excited about keeping these new novelties clean and dry.

This is where we ran into a bigger problem. As any parent that has potty trained a child knows, it's kind of an all consuming task. You need to constantly remind the child that they aren't wearing a diaper, but instead big kids underwear. Therefore those big kid underwear need to stay pee-pee and poo-poo free. And in order to that you also need to regularly take them to the potty, keep them entertained long enough to use the potty, and then praise and reward them afterwards. Repeat, Repeat, Repeat! Apparently, I had potty time on the brain, because I locked the door and then walked out without grabbing my keys. Which leaves me standing in the driveway with a 2yr old in big boy underwear who is only half a day into serious potty training! Insert mental forehead slap here.

I quickly go through my options. First, run and check all doors. Good job Momma! You actually remembered to lock every door before leaving this time...ugh! Second, realize that Hubby is out of town for the week...therefore not really an option at all. Third, remember that Hubby hid a spare car key on the bumper and friends in neighborhood have spare key to house...score! I get down on the ground and reach my hand into the tiny gap between the bumper and tow hitch, slide key out of box, and my hand gets stuck! Insert even harder mental forehead slap here! Thank the lord I was able to wiggle my hand free after about 15-20 secs, but let me tell you...15-20 secs seems like an awful long when you are half laying on the ground with your hand stuck in a bumper and a 2 yr old standing there looking at you, who happens to be only wearing underwear when he isn't even potty trained yet!

I finally get myself and my spare keys together and decide to push my luck and still make the trip to Walmart. We grab some new Cars (of course) undies, which by the way, don't come in a smaller size than 2T-3T (doesn't that just beat all!?!). And head back home. And guess what!?! We arrived with smiling faces and dry pants! I'm one proud Momma!!!

1 comment:

  1. I am laughing out loud!!!!

    You got your hand stuck in the bumper? OMG!!! That could have been really bad news.......Oh, sweetie.....so funny....

    ReplyDelete