Saturday, May 21, 2016

Cupcake.


In the last year and a half we have lost both of our beloved doggies, who were our babies before we had babies. Who had my heart. And I swore that I was done with anything that poops (well, besides the adorable little humans that already rule my world). I went as far to proclaim that if the Hubby dared to bring any creature into this home it would magically disappear the next time he went to work, and I meant it, I still do. And no, it's not that I'm a cold hearted animal hater. I actually love animals. It's just that all of my patience is currently occupied. Used up. I'm raising little humans. And I have to clean up after them enough as it is. I'm learning not to spread myself so thin. When to say "no, I just cant handle that right now." Animals are on the list of, just can't handle that right now. As seasons change and children grow that list will change as well. But for now. It's a nope. Huge NOPE. 

Which brings me to Cupcake. 

I've been had. Duped. Conned. 

My 1st grader came home a few weeks ago, all excited about the tadpoles that his class would be hatching from eggs. He immediately followed up with "They will be available for adoption. Can we have one?" and my answer, "nope, " said with a little inward grin for sticking to my guns and putting the whole ordeal to rest.   

Ha! Any mom knows that was just the beginning of the persistent asking for a tadpole to come home. After awhile, I stopped to consider, my thought process went a little something like this...
"Ok, I can totally use this to my advantage. Let him bring the tadpole home. We get to keep it for a couple of weeks. Watch it metamorph into a frog and then have a parade down to the pond to set it free with all the other frogs to live a happy and fulfilling life. I can then use the fact that we had the tadpole to get me out of the next 2-5 creatures that are asked for! Boom! I'm winning at this parenting thing!" 

Signed, sealed, delivered. I promised to adopt a tadpole. Within hours of making the commitment, I come to find out that these are African Clawed Frog tadpoles and releasing them into the wild is a big no-no. They need special food and spring water. These things can live for 20-30 years. And they poop, ALOT. 

FRAN-FREAKING-TASTIC.

So let me introduce you to the newest member of the Jenkins Family, Cupcake, our pet "fishing pole." (C can't remember the word tadpole and calls him a fishing pole instead)
He will be with us for the rest of our lives, apparently.  


The kids think he, she, it? I don't know. Whatever, is pretty darn cool! But we'll see how long that lasts, I'm guessing a week.

You can see right through the thing!! Not the cutest pet, but sure does make for a neat photo.



And of course, we had to have cupcakes to celebrate the adoption of Cupcake, it seemed like the right thing to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment