Thursday, May 26, 2016

Fairy House & Fairly Patient.

Back in September during my ceramics class I decided to make Fairy Houses, mostly because the wheels were all taken and I couldn't think of anything else to create. But as I carved and molded them, I envisioned my daughter and I setting them up in the flower bed. The sun shining, birds chirping, and her and I working together to great something magical.  They took me the whole 8 weeks to make and by the end I was super excited and my expectations were great.

But here's the thing with expectations, they can ruin a moment if you let them. Rarely, does anything exceed our expectations and it's almost as rare that something actually meets them. Most of us have high hopes and grand plans.  But life is messy and unpredictable even under the best of circumstances. Throw in an extra toddler and you might as well kiss those expectations good-bye. 

I have been trying hard to enjoy moments as they come and to go ahead and kick the expectations to the curb. Life can be just as beautiful without them, actually usually even more so. I've been working on my patience and allowing the kiddos the freedom to create moments for themselves. Which I will be honest, is hard for me. I have vision and just like anyone else, I love to see it come to fruition. 

Over the years though, I have come to realize that I need to relinquish some control. I'm suppose to be the one helping them find, create and rejoice in THEIR vision. They need this from me. As life will give them plenty of people who will squash or try to control their creativity. So, I let go of my expectations, mustered up all of my patience, and guided instead of controlled.

The sun was shining, birds were chirping and I think, in the end, we did create something magical. 
And, I can't help that the fairies decided to move things around in the night...Like I said, I'm trying!












1 comment: